Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sunday's Spotlight: The Marvels

The Marvels The Marvels

 
Caldecott Award winner and bookmaking trailblazer Brian Selznick once again plays with the form he invented and takes readers on a voyage!

Two seemingly unrelated stories--one in words, the other in pictures--come together. The illustrated story begins in 1766 with Billy Marvel, the lone survivor of a shipwreck, and charts the adventures of his family of actors over five generations. The prose story opens in 1990 and follows Joseph, who has run away from school to an estranged uncle's puzzling house in London, where he, along with the reader, must piece together many mysteries.








My Thoughts: I first stumbled upon this beautiful work on my Overdrive app, and through that read through the first 400 pages online. The first part of this book (the part I read) it make up of a series of beautiful, yet emotional pictures telling the story of the Marvel family, a family of well-known actors. Then I reached the part with the words, I knew I needed to see this book in print to fully appreciate it, so I immediately went and check it out at the library. It's a stunning book, and I'm excited to see what happens next!  With gold edged pages, and gold foil on the cover it's a marvel to behold alone, and the pictures inside tell an impressive tell of hope and tragedy, that it sure to impress!

No comments:

Post a Comment