Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Review: Wildcat

31943639 Wildcat by J.P. Harker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

*I received a copy from the author for review. This in no way effect on my review.*

Rhianwyn of the Caderyn is conflicted about giving up a warrior’s life to become a wife and mother, but her love for her new husband is enough to at least make her consider it. However, with the conquering Gaians moving ever closer to her homeland a peaceful life may no longer be an option, for Rhia or for any of her people. With rival tribes, old suitors, and the dangerous General Lepidus to contend with, Rhia soon finds her new family in unprecedented danger, and her choices now must be about more than just herself...

Wildcat takes place in a fantasy land inspired by Iron Age Britain and follows Rhianwyn's story as she encounters a civilization unlike any she could imagine, and is constantly forced to learn and adapt through trial after deadly trial.




Cover - I'm starting a new way to review, and first thing I notice on a book is the cover. This one really stands out, and is very eye-catching! I love the colors, and her face is both beautiful and interesting. The back cover fits well, and looks just as good. I am not impressed with the back font, but that's a minor detail. The blurb grabbed my attention, and made me want to read more.

Plot - The plot, while not fully original, was well done and interesting. Tribal warriors fighting and becoming captives has happened many times before, but it works.

Characters - The characters are just as important as the plot, and I enjoyed Rhianwyn as well as her friends. I didn't love any of the characters, but they were relate-able and easy to like. Rhianwyn is strong, and faces difficult choices and events that change her over time.

Writing - Here's where I didn't connect with the story. While I enjoyed the story for the most part, I didn't care for the writing style. It felt stilted and simplified in places, not flowing the way some stories do. I know that as a story focused on tribes and war, it isn't meant to be a light read, but I wish it was easier to read. I put this one down a few times before finishing it, to read other easier books, because I struggled with the writing style.

Overall - Overall it's a good story, and has potential to be the stare of a great series. I liked the story for the most part, and would consider reading the next book, but it's not the best I've read, and this series didn't make it to my auto-buy list, but I am interested to see what happens next, and see more of this world.

My one other complaint is the was rape was handled. I don't mind rape if it's handled well, as I know it does happen, especially in this setting, but this book seemed to feel indifferent and distant about it, and while rape happens and fits with this setting, I feel how it's handled after is just as important, or more so, that the act itself. No I do NOT condone rape, but I also don't condone murder, yet read about assassins all the time. It happens, and I know it will be mentioned at times, but the victim's feelings as well as the attacker's should both be handled correctly.


No comments:

Post a Comment