Friday, July 28, 2017

Review: Silver And The White Lions

35845971 Silver And The White Lions by Jenny Vassallo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Silver is a beautiful, large Maine Coon cat who remembers that in a previous life he was a white lion cub.
He lives with several other cats who encourage him to tell them the story of his past life.
He begins with memories from his childhood as a cub, when his dad, King, told him how all the lions had arrived at King Rock.
King had been born with a mission in life, which was to travel to a place where he would find a very special white lioness with blue eyes. She was destined to become his mate and together they would fulfil an ancient African prophecy.









*I received a copy from the publisher for review. This review is my honest opinion.*

The first thing I noticed about this book was the beautiful cover! Also being a fan of the Warriors Saga by Erin Hunter, I had to give this one a try, as it sounded similar based on the blurb.

Starting out, it's pretty slow, and the writing style really didn't work for me. While I enjoyed the story, it the writing didn't grab my attention at all. The characters were good though, and the story and even the African culture were interesting.

My biggest issue is that this book was written for Middle-grade, or even grade school children, but deals with reincarnation, which I don't agree with, and don't think children of that age are ready for this type of lesson yet. Older middle-grade kids and up would be fine, as I was big into mythology in middle-school. While I knew it was about that, the writing style seemed specifically targeted for younger grades, and was difficult to read in some places because of this.

Overall it was a good story, I just wish it was written for a slightly older age group, more like 10-13 instead of the younger kids.

View all my reviews

2 comments: