Sunday, July 30, 2017

Review: The Buried Symbol

29910761 The Buried Symbol by Jeffrey L. Kohanek
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Discover a lost magic, long buried and forgotten…

Without a rune marking his role in society, Brock is doomed to an existence below the lowest rung of the social ladder. Unwilling to accept his fate, the teen risks his life to obtain a fake rune that marks him as a member of the Empire's ruling class. He then embarks on a quest to join an institution where the Empire’s future leaders are trained.

As a student of the Academy, he soon uncovers a chain of secrets kept hidden for centuries, secrets that expose cracks in the foundation of Empire society. Among his discoveries is a powerful magic, long buried and forgotten.

Brock’s compassion and sense of justice are seeds that sprout tight friendships and a blossoming romance. An unwillingness to be bullied earns him a dangerous enemy, becoming a feud that escalates to a climactic showdown.




*I received a copy from the author through YA Bound Book Tours for review*

This is one of those books that I could tell from the first page it's going to be good! I love, LOVE the world building in this book! It's one of those books that while I read, it plays like a movie and I can see the world in vivid detail. I read a variety of genre, and yet this is the one thing that makes fantasy my favorite!

My biggest issue with this book was the main character. With a book with such detail, I was hoping for a more complex character. I didn't hate him, but he seemed to be dull and uninteresting compared to what he could have been. He didn't grab me, and I never felt like I really got to know him. Where this is the first book though, there is still time to make him into one of those characters you never forget, but at least for now, he's not that way.

The cover...I love/hate the cover. I love it, but for some reason, it made me reluctant to pick this one up at first. I love the figure, I just wish he didn't look so...computer animated? He reminds me of a cartoon character, and I would rather a more traditional art look, but I'm funny about art. Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment