Thursday, April 13, 2017

Review: Pirate John-Wolf

32073108 Pirate John-Wolf by Natalie Quintart
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I received an eCopy from NetGalley for review

John-Wolf is always afraid… except when he is singing pirate songs at the top of his voice, all alone in his room. One night, John-Wolf dreams that pirates take him to their ship. Will he overcome his fears and become a real pirate?

A cheerful picture book about self-confidence and imagination. For rovers and singers, ages 5 and up.










It was alright. Not my favorite, but it wasn't really bad. I enjoyed the pictures, and the song, but otherwise I didn't really feel anything for this book. John-Wolf is weak and insecure. He is afraid of everything and is unable to stand up for himself. When he is taken by pirates, he discovers they are all unable to read! He using this to get his way, and in no way redeems himself. Using knowledge against people in no way a good thing, and is a bad thing to teach children. He just becomes a bully, hiding his insecurities with the one thing he can do, read. Reading is something everyone should have the chance to learn, and I did not like that he didn't offer to help for the sake of helping, but instead just wanted to get his way.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment