Friday, August 5, 2016

Wednesday's Weekly Writers with Lenita Sheridan


20011774
 This week's Wednesday's Weekly Writers (is a bit late...but!) we welcome Christian fantasy writer Lenita Sheridan! Enjoy! :)

Hi Everybody,

I grew up in the Goldstream Valley outside of Fairbanks, Alaska. There I had plenty of woods in which to play and I loved this. The woods were a source of inspiration and imagination for me. I was raised in a Christian home and became a Christian myself when I was eleven. Also, at the same age I decided to
become a writer, so this was a real turning point age for me.

I did my undergraduate work at the University of Alaska where I received a Bachelor of Arts in English. I moved to Washington state to look for a teaching position. While I was teaching I substitute taught. During a snowstorm when school was closed I began writing Guardian of the Gauntlet. This became my thesis when I entered graduate school at the University of Washington. I graduated with a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing.

I now live on Whidbey Island where I write, substitute teach and am a caregiver. I have self-published the Guardian of the Gauntlet trilogy. My interests and hobbies include reading, singing, crafts, and walking my dog, a Japanese Spitz named Haley.


The Guardian of the Gauntlet trilogy is about a young princess, Camari, and her adventures with a special gauntlet. This gauntlet only works if one has faith in a higher power.

Interview
1. Who are some of your favorite authors, or what are some of your favorite written works?
My favorite authors are C.S. Lewis, Stephen R. Donaldson, and Angie Sage.

2. What do you enjoy most about writing, and the books you have written?

I like using my imagination to make up the flora and fauna of the books. For one thing, it's easy to change something. One of the people in my writing group said, "You can't use a falcon as a messenger bird." I replied, "Then I'll just make up a messenger bird." Thus was born the kipsee bird.

3. Is there anything you find particularly challenging when writing?

In the last book, getting the different points of view and time sequencing at the right place and chapter in the book was challenging. It helped to use an outline.

4. Why did you choose to write fantasy?

I chose to write fantasy because it allows the author to make the most of his/her imagination. Also, when writing for middle grade to young adults it helped me to put the characters in a fantasy setting. This type of setting makes it easier for the author and readers to relate to the characters.

5. Did you learn anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?

I learned that, though it is good to write a book that is marketable, in the end I just need to please God.

Thank you for this opportunity!

Best regards,

Lenita Sheridan

Clueless on the Island (Excerpt) by Lenita Sheridan


"See, Mom, I'm a geek techie," I say, as I fix a problem with her Kindle. (She doesn't know how clueless I sound in a class I'm taking on Twitter.)

"How do you get an account with Twitter?" I asked my instructor.

"Just go to Twitter.com," he said.

"Yeah, that's what I thought. I just wondered how you set it up. Someone else set up my Facebook page for me."

(I don't tell him that I already added an author page to my Facebook account or that I set up my own LinkedIn account prior to taking this class.)

As a substitute teacher, I'm trained to use SmartBoards. One time I was teaching math at a middle school and the Boards weren't working right. I heard at least one student call them "StupidBoards," that day. (It wasn't me, really.)

But sometimes I really am clueless. Take today, for example, I posted sad faces on the suggestions for new names for our writers' association. Then I comment, "Why couldn't it have stayed the name it was originally?" It was inferred that I should have gone to the meeting about it to find out why.

I did want to go to the meeting. My mother was having problems with her heart. I had to care for her (take her blood pressure, pulse, etc.).

I woke up this morning to a television gone haywire. There was an "error" message on the screen. So I called my satellite provider. In the end it turned out the satellite receiver wasn't plugged in all the way and that messed up the whole system so the techie had to help me reset everything. Why do things have to be so complicated? Can't you just plug it back in again? Even so, it took a real geek techie to help me realize it wasn't plugged in all the way.

Blurb for Guardian of the Gauntlet (Guardian of the Gauntlet #1) 

Camari and Mila are two sisters who are princesses and live in the kingdom of Harroway. One day they encounter Prince Denir from the kingdom of Thalon. He was given a special gauntlet that has special powers, but only when used by one who has a belief in a higher power. One day he turns Camari invisible. A problem occurs when Denir is called off to war and Camari is left invisible. There is an enchanted bog witch named Bogwina and a wicked magician named Mecandel who are conniving to steal the gauntlet. The journey takes Camari through the wetlands of Fremil after she meets Prince Isryk of Bredin who is her guide. She encounters many awful creatures along the way. In the end she discovers that she has been given a great gift by her higher power.
Guardian of the Gauntlet

About the Author:

Lenita Sheridan was raised in a Christian home and became a Christian at age eleven. The family had moved from Seattle to Fairbanks, Alaska when her father got a position as a physics professor at the University of Alaska. Later the family moved to six and a half acres of woods in the Goldstream Valley outside of Fairbanks. Lenita Sheridan got her imagination from playing in these woods and exploring the valley below. While in college she had poetry published in the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.
Lenita Sheridan moved back to Washington state while in her twenties. Guardian of the Gauntlet was begun during a snowstorm in the Puget Sound area. She soon was accepted to graduate school at the University of Washington. Lenita Sheridan graduated with a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing.
Lenita Sheridan now lives on Whidbey Island where she is a substitute teacher as well as a writer. She enjoys singing, crafts, and walking her Japanese Spitz, Haley. Lenita Sheridan is a member of the Whidbey Island Writers Association. The first book, Guardian of the Gauntlet, was a finalist in the Red City Review Books Awards in the category of Young Adult and Children.

Author's Links:

WebsiteFacebook

No comments:

Post a Comment