Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Wednesday's Weekly Writers (interview with Dora Ilieva)


26768985 



Welcome once again to this week's Wednesday's Weekly Writers interview! This week we welcome Dora Ilieva with her thriller The Devil's Gorge!


Can you tell us a little about you, and your book(s)?
Dora Ilieva is my pen name. I was born and raised in Bulgaria and moved to Canada with my family when I was in my twenties. I love to read and write and I also love studying foreign languages. Travelling is another one of my hobbies. I live in Toronto with my husband and children.
I’ve self-published two books – “The Devil’s Gorge” which is a mystery/ thriller set in Bulgaria, and a short story collection called “Faces” which centers on the lives of variety of people in Toronto.
Another thriller to which I am putting the finishing touches will be published before the end of this year. It will tell the story of a little known dualist movement (a secret society of sorts) called the bogomils.
Who are some of your favorite authors, or what are some of your favorite written works?
There are many books that I love, too many to name. I enjoy reading both fiction and non-fiction. Jose Saramago, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Emile Zola are among my favourite authors, but I also like lighter books – thrillers, crime fiction, historical novels, etc.

What do you enjoy most about writing, and the books you have written?
I enjoy the process of writing, the birth of the characters, the research that I often have to do. In a nutshell, I enjoy everything related to writing. What I don’t enjoy at all is the formatting, page numbering, and all other little things that one needs to do before submitting a book for publishing.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging when writing?
Yes, it is finding the time to write. It is sometimes hard to find a good balance between work, family and writing.

What inspires you to write?
I am not quite sure. I just feel I can do it.

Did you learn anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?
While writing “The Devil’s Gorge” I had to do a lot of research about ancient Thrace – its tribes, customs and ways of life.

Blurb for The Devil's Gorge:
Sam, a University of Toronto History student, receives a letter informing him that he has inherited some property in Bulgaria, the country of his parents. Somewhat reluctantly, he decides to go there accompanied by his best friend Ben, a charming young man with a flair for languages and adventure. In the country of his parents Sam comes face to face with a different reality which gives rise to a series of uncanny events and leads him to question his identity. The short, pleasant trip the two friends were envisaging suddenly becomes darker as they travel to the site of one the most sacred ancient Thracian cities. There, a whirlwind of encounters throws them in the pursuit of a relic of world-changing importance and into the arms of the beautiful and mysterious Ana.

The Devil's Gorge



About the Author: 
 I am a Bulgarian-Canadian author. My first novel is "The Devil's Gorge" - a tale of mystery, love and betrayal. I grew up in Sofia, Bulgaria and moved to Canada with my family when I was twenty-eight. Reading is what I love best. I often read several books at a time. My time is split between reading, writing, family and work. Travelling, watching crime shows and observing people are also things that I like. My second book, the short story collection "Faces", deals with the all too human problems city dwellers encounter on a daily basis. I am currently working on a sequel to "The Devil's Gorge" which takes the reader to one of the most mysterious periods in the history of Europe - The Dark Ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment