Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books Set Outside The US #2

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and The Bookish.

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/
Ten Books Set Outside The US

Stephanie’s Top Ten

 This weeks tag is interesting for me. Since I read a lot of fantasy, many of the books I read aren't even on earth, or our galaxy/dimension for that matter! O.O XD But I have also read a lot of historical fiction, so this is a good chance to look back and list my Top Ten Books Set Outside The US. These are not in any order, and enjoyed each of these stories, and wanted to share them, but they are just listed in the order I thought of them.


10. When My Name Was Keoko - This one is a touching historical fiction set in South Korea during WW II. It tells the story of a young South Korean girl and her family in the war ravaged country.

9. 39 Clues - This one I picked because they travel the world, talking about history and important artifacts from many different countries. I loved the idea, and still love this series! It's great for both a fun read, and as a learning tool to start conversations about history and famous people, places, and things from many different places!

8. Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) - This book takes place primary in Austria, but also in Germany at the beginning of the reign of terror in Nazi Germany, and how it effected not only those in Germany, but those in surrounding countries. The main character is a Jewish musician, and she must do all that she can to protect her friends and family, while finding help from the outside as the darkness grows around them!

7. Daughter of Venice - I'll just use the blurb for this one, it gives the best description! ^.^ 
In 1592, Donata is a noble girl living in a palazzo on the Grand Canal. Girls of her class receive no education and rarely leave the palazzo. In a noble family, only one daughter and one son will be allowed to marry; Donata, like all younger daughters, will be sent to a convent. Donata longs to be tutored like her brothers and to see the Venice she has glimpsed only on the map. What is the world beyond her balcony, beyond what she sees when she glides, veiled, in a gondola down the canal? She dresses as a boy and escapes the palazzo on the Grand Canal to see the world before she is shut away, and to try to find a way to escape her fate. Donata risks everything; she changes her life, and her family’s life, forever when she walks through the door and encounters a Venice she never knew existed.
  
6. The Canterbury Tales - Set in England, this medieval work has never ceased to amuse me. Although sadly unfinished, Chaucer's use of satire and quick wit to describe the characters of everyday life from the Knight to the Miller, from the Friar, the Squire, and the Prioress, to many others his descriptions are both shocking at time, and fitting, but always entertaining!

5. The Daydreamer Detective- Set in a small town in Japan, this is a modern crime mystery. The main character looses her job in Tokyo, and must return home to help her mother on their family farm just outside of the tiny town of Chikata. 
4. Hood (King Raven, #1)- This stunning tale is a retelling of Robin Hood. Set is Wales it is by far my favorite version, and one of my all time favorite trilogies! I highly recommend it to any Robin Hood fans, or even those who enjoy plenty of action and wit in a medieval setting! I couldn't get enough of this book, and I would gladly read them all over and over!
 
3. Five Ancestors - Set in China, this is a middle grade/YA series about five monks, or 'temple brothers'. Each is raised to fight in a style resembling the animal that best matches their personality. These stories are short, and written for a younger, likely boy audience, but I enjoyed them, and loved the characters!
2. Risuko- This is one I just read, and thought it deserved a spot! This one is also set in Japan, during the  feudal era. It's the story about a girl called Risuko (Squirrel), and her schooling to become a Kunoichi (Female ninja). This story stats off mysterious and keeps you waiting until end! The excitement and surprises make it a fun read, and the characters each have strengths and weaknesses that make them human. 
1. The Book Thief- This is also set during the Holocaust terror. This one is about a German girl living with her foster parents. When things change, and the Nazi ideals spread, she is startled to see they are burning books! Wanting to save at least a few, and seeing as no one will miss them, she begins stealing (or saving) a few at a time. There's a catch, she can't read, and neither of her parents are able to teach her. That is where the relationship of a young girl, and a scared Jew come in. This is a heavy read, and there are a lot of emotional parts, but if you enjoy that, I highly recommend it!

*Bonus* Narnia!- OK, so Narnia isn't a real place...or is it? XD No, but this one I wanted to add because it's so well known, and does in part take place in England. I know there are many others, but as this series has a special place for me, and was a childhood favorite, and will always be a favorite, here is it! 

What are some of you favorite books set outside of the US? Have you read any of the books on my list? What did you think? Do you have any you would recommend? Also feel free to do your own post on the Ten Books Set Outside The US and be sure to share the link in the comments! Also link back to the talented ladies at Broke and The Bookish  in your post, they are the ones who thought up this fun post idea! 

15 comments:

  1. Great List!! Need to add some on my TBR..!! chk out my TTT @https://vipashabansal.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-ten-tuesday-19th-july

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any on your list (not even The Canterbury Tales or Narnia). I know I know! I don't know how that's possible. But good choices. Have a great week!

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I tried to pick some that were less popular, to help those looking for new books! :)
      You too ^.^

      And thank you! I hope you enjoy my other posts and picks!

      Delete
  3. Love Narnia! And 39 Clues sounds fun with all the artifacts. I've seen a few good reviews of The Daydreamer Detective too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Narnia's the best! Both were fun reads, and if they sound like something you would enjoy, I highly recommend them!

      Delete
  4. The Book Thief is my daughter's favorite book!!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/07/top-ten-tuesday-10-books-outside-usa-i.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard mixed reviews, but I loved the Book Thief, I think it's just one that either you love it, or hate it!.
      Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  5. The Book Thief was on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-ten-tuesday-66/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I didn't see it on more lists. It really is a beautiful book! :)

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard of When My Name was Keoko before today but it sounds like a book I don't need to miss. Somehow I've made it this long without reading The Book Thief. Need to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed both books and I hope you enjoy them too!

      Delete
  7. I'll definitely be interested in reading The Daydream Detective. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the second one is out now, or will be soon. If you enjoy the first, I definitely recommend reading the second book too! :)

      Delete