Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Review: The Devil in Canaan Parish

The Devil in Canaan Parish by Jackie Shemwell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

**I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review**

Cover: Eerily Intriguing
Rating 4 Stars
Overall: Intense
Characters: Human to a fault
Plot: It starts out dark, and you only do darker from there!
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? N/a
Recommend Yes.
Favorite Character(s): Gabriel, Izzy, and Marraine (Melee too)

 “Every time you cry, your tears put out my candle.”
 
 Blurb/Synopsis
 The Devil in Canaan Parish is a southern gothic suspense novel set in south Louisiana in 1957. It tells the story of Bram and Sally Palmer, a middle class couple trying to keep apace with Sally's wealthy relatives, the Landrys, who own most of Canaan Parish. One night in late July, a tropical storm hits the small town of Techeville. The Ira Meyer's jewelry shop is robbed and a stranger, Melee Mouton, arrives in town. The young Cajun girl goes to work as a maid for the Palmers, and quickly becomes a prisoner in the couple's bitter, covetous household. Soon an evil presence begins to haunt Melee, Bram and Sally, and the local sheriff gets involved to try to rid Canaan Parish of the devil that has taken up residence.
 
Review:

Pros:
The historical and cultural aspects of this book are spot on! When anyone with a strong accent speaks, especially Cajun, you want hear them as you read! I loved just listening to the characters as I read there words. This is something I find many authors struggle with, and she did it beautifully! Also the setting, racial struggles, and lifestyles of the time were well portrayed.

Cons:
Well... the main couple felt...flat? Compared to the others they didn't seem to care. I get that was part of the story, but I still couldn't connect with them in any way, while I either loved or hated the others, I was numb to Bram and Sally.

Overall:
I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I started this book. I knew it has Cajun themes and a Gothic style, but it was pretty vague beyond that. The father I read, it hit me it's like a strange twist of The Help meets The Great Gatsby, only...not. Once I get into it, I couldn't put it down! It is defiantly dark, but that's the magic, it's done perfectly!



*Images used are not mine, they belong the the author*

No comments:

Post a Comment