Thursday, June 9, 2016

Review: Cimarron Girl

Cimarron Girl Cimarron Girl by Mike Blanc
My rating: 3 of 5 stars





Received a free copy from NetGalley for an honest review

Cover: Pretty
Rating 3 Stars
Overall: A fun way to learn
Characters: Believable
Plot: A sad truth
Page Turner: Yeah
Series Cont.? N/A
Recommend Yes



Again I clicked on this book for it's cover. Seeing that it was a fictional take on history, I thought I wold give it a try. I love how it covers things that might otherwise be overlooked, like the dog, and the dust storms covering the ground in thick layers of dust. This is a fun way to introduce kids to history, and to teach them things that might otherwise be considered boring.

Pros:
I loved how the author though to use a child's perspective to show a part of history. I know it's common, but it's still a great way for kids to learn, and they are able to relate better in some ways to a speaker their age. I also really enjoyed the use of sepia instead of full colored pictures. It gives it a more old fashioned feel the fits well with the story. It's well written, and detailed enough that you can see what's going on, but not so long that children loose attention before the end.

Cons:
I didn't really have anything I hated. It just didn't speak to me as anything special.

Overall:
I enjoyed it, but it didn't make it to my favorites. I would gladly read more by this author, and would love to see more books like this from him, but it didn't grab me the way others have. For history it's great, but overall not the most interesting story I have ever read.

No comments:

Post a Comment