Friday, May 20, 2016

Creepy or Cool? Review: Cobwebs

Cobwebs
by Karen Romano Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
 Published August 1st 2005
 388 pages


Description/Synopsis:

The pattern will change . . .
because I am here. A girl walks across the Brooklyn Bridge, a backpack full of knitting slung over her shoulder, a green fish kite in her hand.

A boy balances on the bridge's crisscross webbing, waiting for the girl to pass.

Are they angels? Spiders? In love? Or in danger? Once they connect, they'll start a chain of events that could stretch out smoothly like the river below them -- or become knotted like a tangled web of spider silk. "I can do this. (Maybe.)
Climb the wall. (Just like the other time.)
Don't think twice. (Yeah, right.)
Leap for it. (Only as far as absolutely necessary.)"


 This is one of the many books i devoured in middle school. Although that has been a while, I still can list a few on the top of my head, those that left an impression all these years later. This is one of those. With my eclectic tastes, I often picked up those books I found at our small middle school library that seemed to stand out, or looked different. This was one such book, right away I got the impression this would be different, and even to this day I haven't found anything like it!

  I read this in middle school. I stumbled upon it along with a few others books that I am very glad I found. It was not like anything I had read before, but that was part of the magic, I had no idea what to expect when I agreed to start this book, and was very pleased with the result! Beautiful, unique, and shows a perspective I had never really considered, this looks things at a different angle, and gets close and personal with some...unusual characters!

 Nancy is you average teenager, who is trying to figure out who she is, and what makes her different, in this coming of age story. She knows changes are normal, but starts to question her family's seemingly strange behavior as those changes don't happen quite as expected. Find out what her family isn't telling her, and what it means for her future. Along the way meet other characters, along with Dion, her new friend who seems to know more than he says.

This book has an odd feel, and is only for those who consider themselves as true readers, and not just casual readers. It is often called 'weird' or 'bizarre' but is just what readers like me enjoy, a quick read fit for a rainy day (and I can remember reading it on just such a day!) So if you like stories that are different, and that will leave you thinking, then this might be just the book for you!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment